Custom Search

January 23, 2010

Rebuilding My Bike Into a Better One



As I mentioned on my previous post, the threat of global warming should led to advocacy of bicycles as an environment-friendly means of transport.

And since my New Year's resolution is to tighten my belt even more, and since I am advocating the use of bike, I have decided to refurbish my bike which already collecting rush and dust at the back of our house.

I bought this bike a long time ago because I want to use it when going to work and reduce my transportation cost, but since it's an uphill battle, especially in the Philippines where cyclists face a particularly hostile environment: road rage-crazed and cyclist-hater drivers, traffic-choked streets, relentless heat or torrential rain and air pollution, I have stop using it. Another obstacle comes from an unexpected source: the bicycle itself. Since I cannot afford expensive bikes I have no choice but to buy the cheapest one. Since it is cheap, it has a poor quality and not comfortable to use. I cannot use it for long travel because it is like pedaling a pedicab that has three passengers and usually the chain disintegrate from its plate.

Another reason I lost interest in bike is because I'm the only one who use it for practical means in our office. Though some people who work in factory and construction use it as a way of transportation, some office workers cycling is seen more as a recreational sport rather than a practical means of getting around.

I have decided to just rebuild my old bike because it will be hard for me to look for a cheap but durable and high performance one. In countries where cycling is an accepted form of mass transport, mainly in Asia and Europe, cheap, durable and practical bicycles are readily available. In countries where the car is king, such as the US and, sadly the Philippines , you need to look harder to find them. Local bicycle retail industry has chosen to focus on the expensive and high-performance bike market, to the virtual exclusion of everything else. That's fine if you're in the market for an ultra light, 20-speed, and carbon fiber racing bike or a full-suspension aluminum alloy mountain bike with front and rear shock absorbers and 27 speeds. If not, you're just out of luck.

I am planning to rebuild my bike into high performance and comfortable bike, even though I need to use expensive bicycle parts to accomplish it. That will still be cheaper though compare to buying a new one. I opted to use expensive parts so that I will not be forced to abandon it again because of poor quality. I am planning to use it for a long time hoping that Philippines will become a safe and encouraging place for bikers and a country where bicycles are tools not toys.

No comments: