Custom Search

January 11, 2010

New Years Eve Aftermath

We have a work on the day before the New Years Day; luckily, we were allowed to change our schedule from graveyard shift to morning shift. So we can go home at 8:30 pm and enjoy the New Years Eve with our family. Last New Year, we were allowed also to change time but we allowed going home only at 10:30 pm, which is already dangerous in the way going home because people already started lighting firecrackers at that time.

As usual people ignore the call of different group not to use firecracker because of the danger it will bring to people and environment. Many people still use firecrackers to celebrate the New Years Eve. Actually, as early as November you can already hear firecracker explosion, and comes 12 midnight of December 31 you are in war zone. And like US shock and awe style, firecrackers are all over, aerial and ground explosion can be seen in all direction. And like in a real battle, you need to be wary of enemy fire and friendly fire.

After the boisterous New Years Eve celebration, I have the guilty feeling that I allowed my family to get out of the house and exposed them to the danger of firecrackers. Luckily no one get hurt from my family. Another sin that I committed is I am one of those who used firecracker. I have a pesky co worker who wants to take advantage of the New Year celebration and earn money who keeps on selling me these firecrackers. Even though I do not have a plan to use firecrackers she was able to convince me to buy. The worse thing is I only agreed to buy two boxes but she delivered five boxes, since it is already there, I just paid the 5 boxes. Though firecrackers that I bought from her are just the small one and don’t pose any big threat to human physically, there is still some harmful effect to human and mostly to the environment because of the smoke it has emitted.

As expected, there were deaths and injured due to firecrackers and stray bullets. The morning news telecast the aftermath of New Years Eve revelry which shows the ugly results of this kind of tradition. Burned firecrackers litter the street and sky is cover with black smog. My guilty feeling become more worst when the newscaster mentioned that the smoke of firecrackers make the global warming more severe, thinking I contributed to it.

No comments: