Custom Search

October 31, 2009

Breaking A Long Time Tradition

On November 1, 2009, Filipinos all over the Philippines will observe again the All Saints Day by visiting their deceased relatives in the cemetery. They will again go to cemetery to clean and repaint tombs, lit candles and offer flowers. It is more of a "family reunion" atmosphere. Entire families camp in cemeteries, and sometimes spend a night or two near their relatives' tombs. Card games, eating, drinking, singing and dancing are common activities in the cemetery.

It is considered a very important holiday by many Filipinos including me. I can visits my father's tomb only during All Saints Day, but this year I'm not sure if I will lit candle,
considering the effect of it to our environment. But it will not be easy though, it is tradition that we are doing for more than a decade. It is the most common practice Filipinos doing every All Saints Day.

My father is not the only one in the burial plot where he is buried; he is sharing it with other relatives. So if we do not lit candles, many of our relatives will witness it and they might think that we are just being thrifty. In all the visits that we made to my father's grave, the only thing we are doing is lighting candles, so without it the visit is not complete.

Not sure if it is worth the sacrifice. If only one out of millions will not light candles, will there be any significant contribution in stopping global warming? Well, I think no matter how small is your contribution, you need do what you think is right for the environment. I think I need to explain the reason why I am doing it. This might encourage other to do the same. If every one of us will have their own small contribution on our own way, it will also become a big help.

No comments: