Custom Search

August 29, 2009

Recycling

This topic will be much like of a continuation of my "True Environmentalist" and "Second Time" articles. I mentioned on my "True Environmentalist" article that there are other minor things that I did to save the environment and on my "Second Time" article, I talked about recycling.

One of the minor things I am doing right now to save the environment is recycling. As I mentioned on my "Second Time" article, recycling became our common practice due to poverty. But since I am already aware of the environmental issue, my purpose for recycling is not only because of money but due to my concern for the environment.

Let me share to you all the things I did using a recycle material. First on the list is the garbage basket that I created. It is made of used plastic straw, used copper wire and wood. I got the plastic straw from packaging of items I bought from Supermarket or Hardware. I got the copper wire from the spiral notebooks of my kids. And the wood is the excess materials from our house renovation. I just tied 8 woods together, forming a rectangular box, and then knitted the plastic straw and that's it a garbage basket was created.


The second one is the pot I created for my bonsai project and I used Styrofoam to create it. I have detailed the creation of it on my blog about bonsai. I also created a pot for my ornamental plant. I have excess cement during the renovation of my house and I used it to create the pots.


The third one is the small chairs we are using when doing our house chores like washing clothes or even when we are having our siesta. My father was a carpenter, and I think I inherited some carpentry skills and interest from him. Since carpentry runs on our blood, it became a hobby to me. My other carpentry works include cabinet, door, roofing for firewood stove, basin, dustpan and towel rack. The materials used were leftover construction materials. My father also used recycled construction materials when he builds our house.


And lastly, the all time favorite, the slipper or flip flop, which I have already discussed how it is being done, on my “Second Time” article.

No comments: