Custom Search

August 15, 2009

Do I Practice What I Preach?

Back then, when I read an article or column that preaches what is right, what is the best thing to do and which is not, etc. I usually have the notion of asking whether the author is doing what he/she had preached. You may also have that notion when reading my blog.

Someone may think that I am environmentalist only in writing but in reality I'm not doing it. I'm not super active environmentalist but I walk the talk. As the saying goes, action speaks louder than word. But since you can only relate to your reader through writing, it is very hard to show the things you are currently doing. But I will try.

For me one of the greatest contributions I have in saving the environment is when I was still in college. I have reported a municipal mayor and a barangay captain for making the Pampanga River as their dumpsite for their garbage. Though I did it anonymously for my safety, I know something happened because after I reported it, my friend told me that they saw a Television crew from the television network to which I reported this incident, taking video of the garbage in the river. And few days after that municipal government stopped dumping garbage in the river.

There are other minor things that I know I did to save the environment, but as I mentioned it is very hard to prove, if what I am saying is true. And since some of them I cannot remember anymore the complete details, I will no longer enumerate all of them. But moving forward, I will try to capture everything if possible and will post it on my blog with complete details and pictures. This is not to brag what I did, my only intention is to inspire other to do the same and hope that this may serve as a guide on how to do it.

No comments: